Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
In fact, I got the impression that he did not recommend the stock rather he was happily invested in the convertible bonds knowing that if the company goes bankrupt the bond holders get paid out first (before ordinary shareholders).

One of the biggest things I have noted in following the Tesla saga extremely closely over the past roughly 10 months an apparent large knowledge gap with Tesla fans/shareholders not recognizing the importance of a capital structure and the hierarchy within a capital structure. Equity is subordinate to debt. Common stock is subordinate to preferred stock (when such exists), etc.

Even with Chamath showing much more knowledge/recognition of this with the above, he should still caution against the fact that the convertible bond holders are subordinate to the senior bonds and some of the other creditors.

One aspect that helped Tesla immensely in March was an increase in the cap for their ABL (asset backed loan) of about $500M. They likely drew over $400M of that within Q1, without which their cash balance would have been about $400M worse. If I am not mistaken the ABL entities are above the convertible bond holders in the capital structure of Tesla.

Over coming weeks, I won't be surprised to see some nice graphics on Twitter spelling out specifically what the order of preference is within Tesla's capital structure. In fact, I might suggest that via a Tweet in the next few days or less.

-TQP
Disclosure: should go without saying based on my name
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.