Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[[In January, I made a $2000 non-deductible IRA contribution for 1997 and then converted my
entire IRA (approx. $10K) to a Roth. This was the only non-deductible contribution I ever made,
and I treated it as a way of getting an extra year's benefit from the Roth plan without having to pay
any additional tax on the conversion (tax would be due only on $8K).]]

OK...so far so good..

[[ In March I received a rollover from a previous employer's 401(k) of around $90K, and I plan to
leave this as a separate (traditional) IRA account.]]

Uh Oh...I smell a problem here...

[[ Since this happened after the Roth conversion, I
assumed that the tax status of the conversion would not be affected.]]

Oops...I think I see where you're going with this one..

[[ Using last year's tax forms, however, it looks like only the year-end IRA balances are used to
compute basis on withdrawals. I think that means that the tax-free part of the conversion would be
only $200, not the $2000 I had intended it to be. (And the remaining $1800 of basis would stay in
the rollover IRA.)]]

Right...there's the problem.

Under code section 408, the following rules apply to IRA distributions:
1. All IRAs are treated as one contract,
2. All distributions during any tax year are treated as one distribution, and
3. The value of the contract, income on the contract and investment in the contract are computed as of the close of the calendar year in which the tax year begins.

Since all IRA contracts are treated as one IRA, and all IRA distributions during the year are treated as one distribution, an individual can't control the tax consequences of a partial distribution by taking the distribution from a selected IRA. Without this rule, the tax on a distribution from an IRA in which the individual's investment in the contract is a larger portion of the account balance would be less than if the distribution was from an IRA in which the individual's investment was a smaller portion of the account balance. Likewise, I don't believe that you could avoid the "timing" differences by converting an IRA early, and then making a rollover into another IRA.

[[Is it possible to claim that since the conversion was
completed before the rollover took place, that the entire non-deductible $2000 was part of the
conversion?]]

I don't believe so, based upon the IRA rules. Your only hope would have been to hold off on your 401k distribution until after the end of 1998. It's obviously too late for that.

I wish I had better news for you, but this is the law as I read it. I know it doesn't make too much sense, but that's what it says.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. There is still time available to do that tax planning (and tax saving) before the end of the year. So just click on this link (http://www.foolmart.com/market/product.asp?pfid=MF+013+I) to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm and you'll be right at the home page. Pay special attention to the "archives" section. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on http://www.irs.ustreas.gov to go directly there.

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.