Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
In March I agreed to be guarantor for my niece

It is because of this that you are now on the hook. Did you not understand that being a guarantor would make you completely responsible for this should there be a default?

The only thing they can do is offer it as a "relet" to walkins, or my niece can post it herself online. If there are no takers she (and myself as guarantor) will be on the hook for twelve months of rent. (6924.00). What affect will this have on my credit (which is excellent at the moment) if UH decides to send this to collections? I suggested my sister try for a home equity loan/line of credit to make payments to UH but she wasn't sure is she would qualify. I have considered taking out a personal loan and having my sister and niece pay me back, but am a bit hesitatnt at the moment and realize that would impact my cerdit score as well.

This is your debt since you signed as guarantor, and so it will have a detrimental effect on your credit if it goes to collections. Is anyone paying that rent now, either you, your niece, or your sister? Someone needs to be paying it so that it does not go to collection.

Why didn't your sister guarantee the lease for her daughter instead of you? It seems to me if it was because she could not afford to do that, she won't be in any better position to do it now, and she is not on the hook for any of this since you are the one who signed.

Do you really need a personal loan for this? It seems to me that if you can make the payments for the personal loan, you may have the cash flow to just pay the monthly rent. That would also allow time to find another tenant to take over, and get you off the hook of owing more months of rent.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.