Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
In my case I'm probably more concerned about the first 10 years of retirement and not the back end. Partly because if I delay social security even to 67, that would be a chunk of money. It is mostly bridging the first 7-9 years from 60 to 67 or earlier if I quit sooner.

You're singing a song that's very familiar to me. My plan:
-Retire at age 60, but get a layoff benefit of six to ten months, so the paycheck actually stops at, maybe, age 61.5 or age 62 if I drag my feet*.
-Take SS at age 67, wife takes hers (spousal benefit) the next year at (her age of) 67. Interestingly, my own model done at age 58 and also a financial planner's model, show that neither 67 or 70 is clearly better than the other, but both are significantly better than starting at age 62. (I've written on this board a number of times that I'm more worried about running out of money after an extraordinarily long life rather than maximizing money out of SS...someone who comes from a family where everyone drops dead before age 70 will come up with a different model.)
-Bridge the expenses from age 61 to 67 with cash (equivalent to those years times the amount of SS I'm *not* taking out).
-Then I have a <4% withdrawal rate from a portfolio for the amount I need that isn't covered by the big amount of cash (age 61-67) and SS (age 67 and on).

*With all the recent working from home and periodic furloughs, I have not found work to be distasteful.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.