Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
In my opinion as a former IRS employee in collections, adjustments and customer service you can do this yourself.  

First find out exactly what is posted on his accounts.  Call 1-800-829-1040 24 hrs a day and utilize the automatic system to have transcripts send to him.  Here is how the system works:  After the choice for Spanish.
Listen to the prompts and--.  
SELECT #2 for personal account information.  
SELECT #2 for transcripts.  
enter Social Security number.  
SELECT for #1 to verify number is Social Security Number (rather than an employer ID#).  
SELECT #1 if SS number repeated back to you is correct.  
KEY in number of address (if not correct system will throw you to a live person).
At this point if the numbers in your address agree with IRS records the recorded voice goes into a very long explanation of what can be ordered.  
SELECT #4 for both (a record of your account and a transcript of your original tax return before any changes by the IRS).
ENTER the year you want, all four digits, at the prompts.
SELECT #1 to verify year.
SELECT #1 to complete order.
SELECT #2 for additional year etc, etc.
SELECT #3 to end call

All this will come in separate envelopes, two for each year.
Now you are ready to call the IRS or pay an EA to help you.

If an IRS employee said there were no returns for 2001 and 2002, they may have been filed under the wrong Social Security Number. 
To speak directly to someone in IRS Customer Service call 800-829-0922 7am to 10pm.  To get the best service: (1) call after 8pm, (2) ask the employee if they are at a service center or a call site, (3) if they are at a call site ask to be transfered to "Advanced Accounts in Self Employed/Small Business".

Once you get someone and they still say they have no return and you are SURE one was filed ask them to look under:
(1) an invalid Social Security Number (this would mean SSN was correct but last name was wrong)
(2) NAMES (This a command code for them and will show name and addresses for the name and zip code you give them.  If the name was entered correctly and the SSN was wrong they will be able to find the returns there.)
(3) Unpostables,  this is exactly what it sounds like, the return couldn't post to the account.  It is unlikely to be found here for older returns, however.

This whole thing is complicated if you and the IRS aren't using the same address.  If you want to keep going, email me for the next steps and possible solutions.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.