Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In my opinion I don't think that's true considering you can contribute to a spouse's IRA if they are unemployed (no earned income), but that's what I got from their help line.

It's true - believe it.

Here's the question: 1. Should I start an roth IRA, 529, or taxable account for her? 2. If I open a taxable account in her name, does she get taxed?

If it's for college, open a 529. They changed the kiddie tax laws very recently so a taxable account in her name is not nearly as attractive as it used to be.

As an alternative, you can keep money in your name and gift $12K or $24K from you and spouse of stocks to her each year after she turns 18 and have her sell it so it's taxed at her rate.


Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.