Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In no event do you attach the broker's statement showing the amount of foreign taxes withheld to your return.

You can attach any supporting documentation that you want to substantiate your deductions or credits. The almighty government forms are not the only things you include on your return. I wasn't aware of the OP's zero tax liability but if he did owe taxes he could and should attach the broker's statement if other required forms erroneously show zero when he did have foreign taxes withheld and this would be acceptable to the infernal revenue service. Don't leave common sense at the door when you fill out a tax return.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.