Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In one of my cars a recall was in place for a gas tank valve. The issue made it so when getting gas, the hose would constantly stop....annoying to say the least.

The fix was to replace the valve that was easily accessible in the trunk. You were supposed to give it to the dealer with a 1/3 of a tank or less, but I forgot and it had almost a full tank.

When I got the car back, the gas smell was insane and took 2 to 3 weeks before it went away. I learned that any gas that gets into the trunk or cabin will smell for a very long time. If you get some on your shoe while filling....similar problem.

If you don't smell it outside and only inside.....my bet would be a leak in the gas hose in the trunk or someone got some inside accidentally. As mentioned, a fuel injector or something else under the hood would not be my first thought.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.