No. of Recommendations: 1
In other countries they pay the wait staff very well because they don't get tips. But, the service is horrendous too. What do they care if you get all your meals at the same time or not? Who cares if you had to wait 10 minutes for someone to ask you what you want to drink, and another 20 to bring it? Sure, you can complain, you can not go there anymore, but what happens if that becomes the standard? It is in a certain country that shall remain nameless.

----

I agree with Batchfile here. I despise eating out in America, the food is generally bad as is the service because I always feel rushed. I Have spent alot of time in Europe and South America and have never once been given the bill without asking for it. Even if I sit there for 2 hours after I finish my meal. In The states such a thing would cause a crisis and I am sure the manager would either ask us to leave or to move to the bar. This would never happen in Germany, never.

I am currently in Germany and have no issues with my dinner companions getting their meal before I do. Why because the food comes out when it is done so they can eat it while it is still fresh and hot. One should really understand the culture of where they are and learn to accept it. Bad service in Europe generally is precipitated by a rude customer or by the customer not understanding the culture. Personally I am very particular about what Americans I will go to a European Restaraunt with, because it is the American who is unwilling to understand another culture that is rude. We need to understand that when we are in another country we are guests, we need to understand their culture and live with in it. It is not only arrogant but quite rude to expect others to conform to our societal norms when we are in their country.

Ben
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.