No. of Recommendations: 0
In point of fact valuation of currencies, whether beads, wampum, abalone shells, silver, gold or greenbacks is now and has always been a human social/economic issue.

Yes, gold has no "inherent" value -- it's only as valuable as people believe.

But it seems the advantage of gold over paper -- and the key difference -- is that you can't just print more gold. You can't control it with a decision of the Fed.

Thus, gold-standardized money would seem to be more subject to outright market forces and (far) less subject to control by government. That would seem to lead to *more* volatility in turbulent times, not less, wouldn't it? Wasn't it to combat this uncontrollable volatility in the money supply that was (ostensibly at least) the purpose of the creation of the Fed in the first place?

I confess I know next to nothing about these things and I am just expressing my thoughts here in the hope that someone can point me the right direction!

Regards,
-Seraphim
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.