Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In re: Delighted's message (Pharmaceuticals #284)

The disease was generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), a condition that, according to the reports, left sufferers paralyzed with irrational fears. Mental-health advocates called it "the forgotten illness." Print periodicals were awash in stories of young women plagued by worries over money and men. "Everything took 10 times more effort for me than it did for anyone else," one woman told the Chicago Tribune. "The thing about GAD is that worry can be a full-time job. So if you add that up with what I was doing, which was being a full-time achiever, I was exhausted, constantly exhausted."

Thanks again, D, for this huge pile of information, I'm still processing it.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and while not having a copy of DSM at hand, I do know a patient that won't leave her house except once a week, and has a lot of what is being popularized as GAD. Or old fashioned agoraphobia with anxiety and depression.

To quote a very old Charles Schulz "Peanuts" comic strip, when Lucy had her "Psychiatric Advice 5 cents booth" and Linus was her patient, after an involved interview, she said:

Lucy: "I think you have Pantophobia ".

Linus: "Well, what's that?"

(N.B., Linus Pt. Hx: Who got perfectly well carrying his blanket around without medication until they took it away from him.)

Lucy: "Oh, that's fear of everything."

Linus: "THAT's IT!

RSH.

P.S.: More to follow.
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.