Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In short, I don't see why speculations on the nature of the designer based on things that are claimed to be designed would fall outside of ID theory or be out of bounds in any discussion of ID in classrooms. Afterall, scientists continue to speculate about the nature of the big bang.

True, but speculations about who caused the Big Bang are not science. Philosophers and theologians have seen the implications of TBB, and have written extensively on it. Scientists have too for that matter, but they don't call what they are doing "science".

I agree with you that many inferences can be made about a designer like you say, but they'd be highly speculative. Unless you were able to interview it, you would be very limited in what legitimate conclusions you could make.

I conclude then that Idists admit that there are only a small number of structures that can confidently be said to be intelligently designed.

Not at all. The focus has been on a relatively few, well-understood cases like the flagellum and the clotting cascade, but (Dembski or Behe, I don't recall) recently said there are thousands of IC structures in biology.

You seem to be saying that there is no objective method to demonstrating the impossibility of a natural explanation.

No, determining if something has specified complexity (Dembski's term), or irreducible complexity (Behe's term, which D considers a form of SC), would lead you to the conclusion that a natural explanation is highly improbable at least. But there's much more.

You really need to read what Behe and Dembski are saying, from them, and not filtered through some reviewer. I can recommend some stuff if you're interested.

Bryan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.