No. of Recommendations: 0
In some cases it's easy to tell without having the old income tax returns. If you know what your income level was and whether you or your then husband participated in an employer retirement plan, you may be able to determine that you didn't qualify for the deduction. And if you can determine that you did qualify for the deduction, it's a pretty safe bet (though not ironclad) that you claimed it.

I'd be inclined to get the returns from the IRS in accordance with Pixy's information, though. Not only is that the safer way to determine this information, but you should have copies in any case for your records. And if you didn't look them over closely when you signed them, they might provide interesting reading . . .

KAT in Chicagoland
Tax Guide for Investors
Includes a complete guide to Roth IRAs
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.