Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I aqcquired some Genentech stock a while ago. I am not knowledgeable about stocks and investing. Would anyone mind telling me in simple terms about the Roche offer, or linking me to where I can find a simple explanation? What happens if I accept this offer - what happens if I do absolutely nothing?

Please forgive this newbie post and I am grateful for any information anyone can give me or link me to. Thank you!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
First, go to Fool Home page and find the tab that says Investing Wiki. There you will find all kinds of help for newbie investors including an investment dictionary.

Roche already owns much of Genetech and wants to own the rest. They have already made a few offers and it is currently offering about $95 a share.

If you do nothing, you will eventually be paid for your shares at whatever Roche ends up buying them for. If you accept the offer now as it stands, you will get the current bid minus a premium brokerage fee.
Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know!

Thanks also for the other information, I have a lot to learn. It is just that this one thing has a deadline looming, and I want to make the right decision!

Thanks again.
I have some shares and did not sell yet. You say they will be purchased. When do you think this will happen. I tried to sell them just now online and they would not process my sale.

Thanks
I think the deal is considered just about complete. I saw a report that Roche now owns over 90% because of acceptance of the offer. Same report said closing might be in second quarter or second half of year. (Pea brain doesn't aways remember stuff in sequence...)

I did not accept the offer myself so will wait to see what and when shows up in a statement. Personally, I have my fingers crossed for the second quarter rather than the second half.