Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
...in the hospital, they, reportedly, also do not honor advanced directives.

It is not mandatory for your spouse to do so either, at least in some states, so get on the same page with your significant other. When Mom had her stroke, Dad overrode her wishes to avoid extreme measures, telling the doctors to do whatever they had to do to keep her alive. It didn't matter that she had documents to the contrary on file.

She lived for over 10 years in a severely compromised state, slowly getting worse with time as her circulation declined. A proud accomplished woman, she was at first devastated at her physical and mental state, until her mental state declined to the point where she didn't seem to be aware of her condition having changed from a better state.

DH was shocked and appalled when I told him of my intent. I plan on sending him to help his sister with their mom when her time comes. He will no longer have the work excuse and really needs that education in order to judge my preferences.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.