Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
In the long run, I must agree with you, it is usually beneficial to understand why it works for correlation to future efforts - and computational modeling is key. Because Lilly is out in front on this technology, they will probably do a better job in the future. If it becomes public domain, so will Merck, Glaxo, etc. Great for the world, not so great for Lilly's competitive advantage. Personally, I'm pleased to invest in a company that works this way, but others should understand this aspect about their investment. Investing in a good company doesn't necessarily maximize your return - but you sleep better! :)

*-----

I sleep better knowing that there are ethical drug companies out there such as Eli Lilly, J&J, PNU (Pharmacia / Upjohn) that uphold their standards and would never release a drug that they suspected would genuinely endanger a patient unless misprescribed.

Lilly's most admirable contribution, apart from its new drugs, it its support for ancient legacy drugs and preparations that you cannot obtain from any other source, yet they keep them on the books, and of course their vigorous support of Indiana University. I don't think I've seen "Morphine Sulfate, tablets, soluble, for injection" from any other company in 20 years.

Lilly's support of Vancomycin was heartwarming and tragic at the same time. Who would dream a physician would prescribe such a drug for trivial indications? It sure wasn't anybody's fault in Indiana.

Finally, a former AT&T vice-chairman went on to become in charge of Lilly, being his home state after his upbringing at Indiana Bell, and I have no notion as to whether he is still there, and if so, how he is perceived as performing. But he was a very nice, compassionate man, and that should count for something.

RSH.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.