Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
In the OP, I made this comment--
I have seen a GSL Net Asset Value (NAV) suggested on SeekingAlpha that the company trades around 55% of book. I'm working on my own estimate. But this is tricky, given the fleet and age mix with a mostly 2nd hand fleet, and existing price volatility.

Ok, some progress.
I took a look at GSL's fleet and data from a few sources, and came up with a plan.
In the shipping sector, there is a concept called 'modern vessel', and this typically means a vessel less than 15-years-old. I then separated GSL's fleet into two categories
1. Modern - 2006-build and newer
2. Older vessels 2005-build and older
Then, for vessels in Group 1, I did a best estimate with data from brokers, recent transactions or newbuild price adjustments. Group 2 vessel was calculated as scrap + some declining annual balance to year 20, then vessels beyond 20-yo, it was just just individual vessel scrap ($450 * LDT tonnage)
Group 1: 18 vessels $930.00M
Group 2: 32 vessels $456.53M
Total 50 vessels* $1386.53M
* GSL completed two fleet transactions in June 2021 adding 16 vessels. The payment details - cash, new preferred share issuance & financing is not entirely clear at this time. So, I am excluding those vessels from the valuation at this time
Debt was around $730M at end of Q1 and cash was around $160M
Bim! Bang! Ka-ching! $20.71/sh

I should point out I do think my numbers are fairly conservative.
i. At least in the near term of 12-18 months, those older (Group 2) vessels can earn more in the current market environment than they normally would earn, and thus put upward pressure on their valuation.
ii. Also, ship-breakers in Bangladesh and Pakistan are currently paying a lot more than $450/LDT.

In 2021, GSL started a dividend for its common shares. Don't guarantee its long term viability. But, in the near term, a payout can offer support to the price.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.