Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
In the past, this would have been reported on the partnership return with a K-1 distributed to each partner.

I was thinking of "the same" in a bigger picture sense. Meaning that each individual former partner would report the income the same way it would have passed through from the partnership. So the rental portion of the judgement would be reported as ordinary income, subject to the passive activity rules (if that makes a difference for the individual partner). The interest portion would be reported as interest income on schedule B (or directly on the 1040 if that schedule is not required).

I wouldn't file a partnership tax return unless there were some compelling reason to do so.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.