Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
In their efforts to increase security (or at least the appearance of security), both ING and Emigrant are getting to where I'm a bit disgusted with the usability barriers.

Fidelity made some changes about a year ago, and Vanguard just did the same, so this isn't confined to ING and Emigrant.

I do agree with you however that some of the stuff seems just plain ridiculous! I was unable to log into Emigrant for about 3 days because their server kept going down due to high traffic. DUH, doncha' think they could have anticipated that asking all their customers to engage in a lengthy log-in verification change, plus view and comfirm agreement with all their legal 'notices' simultaneously on the same day would result in 'high traffic'? I wrote a scathing email to them about this, to which I received no response.

At least Emigrant allowed you to create your own questions and answers. This was great because after 40 years I can't quite remember who I perceived my 'best friend' in high school to be. I also went to 3 different high schools, so trying to remember which name I used in response to that question was similarly futile. The same difficulties hold true of "What was your first job?" Let's see...did I respond with my first full-time job or part-time job? Or did I just answer 'babysitting'? At least Emigrant allowed me the option of creating more clear-cut questions and answers.

I guess I need to think about doing all custom challenge questions and making the answers easy to type.

I use questions with only one-word responses that are factual, but only to me--and you might also want to determine in advance that every character in all your answers everywhere will be either uppercase or lower, rather than mixing the two.

2old

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.