Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
In your case, you seem to have rental losses that are "piling up" until they can be used in the future. There are only 2 ways around this:
1)Become a real estate professional(they can deduct unlimited losses)
2)Make less money (If your AGI is less than $100K, you should be able to deduct $25K in losses a year).

There are three ways, but who's counting. You can always sell the property. All deferred losses are "released" in the year of sale.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.