Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In your study of the good and the bad, where does HDR fit in? You didn't mention it.

Study still on-going. In general it will change the world. Still need to evaluate commercial potential of W-OFDM which appears to be a superior technology at least from a pure performance level - have to figure out its commercial mobile viability (this damn 28.8 kb dial-up modem I'm stuck with for the summer doesn't help (the reason I haven't been on SI very often lately).

My true opinion regarding Q (not Qwest) but THE Q, is that the perception is wrong for the most part. W-CDMA will be more profitable than anyone realized even if Q does get a lower royalty rate. But that the faster data speeds become and the more dense the traffic, the greater and greater becomes Q's hand and dominance.

The variable here is when will this technology start to roll-out en masse. We don't know. 2001, 2002, 2003, it is up to Q to develop the technology, bring it to market cost-effectively and push it out so fast that the Nokias of the world who still can't do 1G CDMA will never be able to keep up with 3G and will have no choice but to buy from Q or lose the market. And this time Q's earning growth won't be waited down by the handset division nor changing business model.

Tinker

P.S. No current Q position. Sold for tax purposes on Jan 2 to buy some RMBS LEAPS (the Q sale timing was pure chance and tax timing - would not have sold except I needed to raise some money quick to get RMBS LEAPS) so will be looking at it closely with intent to buy it back once I cut through the FUD and answer these very questions.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.