Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have received form 1099-B from my broker, and the total gross proceeds on 1099-B seem way out of line with the total obtained from my own records. The tax on the amount obtained from my records would be substantially less than the tax on the amount on 1099-B. To complicate matters, I have run my records through GainsKeeper and the results obtained from Gainskeeper agree with my calculations. I am meticulous about keeping records and I am starting to suspect my broker's 1099-B data is bogus. The question is, if I file and pay the lesser amount of tax based on my records which do not comport with 1099-B, will the IRS have a problem with this? How would I go about proving the accuracy of my records over the broker's records. There are almost 1100 transactions so checking the transactions manually would be daunting.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.