Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am hoping someone might know what to do in this situation or had a similar situation. Here are the facts:

Some company incentive stock options were excercised and then immediately sold the same day.

The company's HR dept said that the net profit was reported on the W2 as part of that year's salary and that taxes were already withheld and paid to the IRS.

The brokerage firm that the company used sent the employee of the stock option transaction a 1099-B for that same transaction that already appeared on the employee's W2 as part of gross salary. This 1099-B was reported by the brokerage to the IRS, so the statement says.

What should the employee do in this case as it was already reported as part of gross salary and income taxes taken out already. Yet, the fact that a 1099-B was received implies that you should report it on the 1040. However, doing so would subject that amount to double taxation.
Was it a mistake to receive the 1099-B? Should the employee just ignore it and assume no issue will result? Or, is there some other form to fill out that will right this all out?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.