No. of Recommendations: 1
Income from selling puts is taxed as ordinary income. So if you're making $1500/month, you'll have $18K in short-term gains at the end of the year. If you're in the 30% tax bracket (for example) then you'd owe $5400 in taxes on that income.

Likewise, if you have covered call income it's the same thing -- all short term (assuming you're writing calls that are < 12 months in duration, and assuming your underlying stock is called away within 12 months of having it put to you.

As with all short-term strategies, if you can do them in a non-taxable account that's probably the way to go. You should also make sure your commission schedule is reasonable (less than $5/trade) if your volumes are small or else the commissions will become a meaningful factor in your returns.

But overall, it's a reasonable strategy, taxable or not. Many people do what you're suggesting (sell puts and then if exercised sell covered calls).

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.