Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My son is 19 year old in college. I claim him as my dependent and he is living with me full time. He files his income tax return as a single status. The form asked to enter the parent who has greater income, which is his father. Even thought I am supporting him, he will be using his father's income to determine his income tax?

Cathy
Print the post Back To Top
Cathy,

I'm no tax advisor, but I suspect this will not impact the taxes owed by your son. I've put four through college and it has never been an issue on my children's taxes.

If you are using a tax prep software program, which in the case of your son will probably be free, you should try each scenario and see if the taxes owed differ in the end.

-Pete
The form asked to enter the parent who has greater income, ...

Cathy, which form is that and which line? DH just finished doing taxes for our kids and only remembers seeing a line asking who is claiming the kid as a dependent.

IP
No. of Recommendations: 2
My son is 19 year old in college. I claim him as my dependent and he is living with me full time. He files his income tax return as a single status. The form asked to enter the parent who has greater income, which is his father. Even thought I am supporting him, he will be using his father's income to determine his income tax?

It depends on your filing status. If you are filing as Married Filing Separate, the dependent exemption goes to the spouse with the higher AGI. If you are filing as Head of Household, you get the exemption and it doesn't matter who has the higher AGI.

Ira