Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is my first post to the tax strategies board. I hope that someone can tell me if the following income shifting stratgey would be OK or if it would somehow raise a red flag at the IRS?

My son is in his sophomore year of college and I need to sell some appreciated stock to pay for his next semester (last year he paid about 40% of the cost from his own savings but that is gone now). Since he is in the 15% tax bracket, can I give him the stock as a gift and then have him sell it and pay his college bills from the proceeds? As I understand, he would still owe capital gains taxes, but at 10% instead of 20% that I would owe. I also know that if the gift is for more than $10,000, I have to look out for gift taxes. Also, I read about a lower capital gains rate of 8% after Jan. 1. If I gave him the stock (which is more than 5 years old), could he sell it after Jan. 1 and only owe 8% capital gains tax?

Any advice or places to look for answers would be welcome.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.