No. of Recommendations: 1
A few weeks ago, I requested an increase in the credit limit on my two CCs. I don't need an increase, but I wanted to see what it would do to my FICO score.

Both were rejected.

Citi says "your revolving credit limit is at the maximum we allow for the total income you provided".
They go on to say that if I provide more income info, they'll reconsider. And they tell me some examples of potential incomes.

Discover says "LOW USAGE ON EXISTING LINE OF CREDIT IN PREVIOUS MONTHS"
The letter had it capitalized. I wonder if Discover is screaming? LOLOL.
It's true. I use this one only occasionally.

FWIW
ralph
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I did something similar with a couple of cards a few months back. Neither was rejected - net increase to credit limits was about $20k, and did slightly reduce my credit utilization.

Net, after giving it time to show up on the credit score, no real change because my credit utilization is low. And neither increase generated a hard credit pull.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Dan says: And neither increase generated a hard credit pull

Good to know! 🙂

Thanks
🙂
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 3
And neither increase generated a hard credit pull.

That's not always the case. I have had credit increases that I requested result in a hard credit pull. I was warned before the fact, and if your lender uses hard credit pulls to approve credit increases, they are supposed tell you that they will. However, the disclosure may be buried in the fine print. So don't assume that you won't get hit with an inquiry if you request a credit line increase - ask first, or be sure to read ALL of the fine print.

AJ