Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I wonder if that guy knows what "the company store" means. I don't think we have those anymore. He's very young, and may not know. In fact, I didn't know what that was when I was younger. Over the years I learned about stuff like that, but that wasn't really emphasized in school, even during the rise of labor unions. Pretty sure "the company store" didn't exist when I was growing up either.

Good version. I always think of Joe vs The Volcano when I hear that. (IMHO, a vastly underrated movie. Only 61% on Rotten Tomatoes? You gotta be kidding me! It was great!)
I like the version Larry Hooper did on Lawrence Welk way back in the 50s and 60s and 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS7pKDtizTk

He also did a lot of other deep deep bass tunes.

t.
I can't remember not knowing about "the company store" in coal country, so I must've learned early. It may have been in my high school history books, I may have read it in newspapers, magazines, books that my parents brought into the house, or maybe saw it in movies or tv shows. Or maybe someone explained 16 Tons to me!

ASIDE
I heard of the Dust Bowl from school, and knew about Okies and others heading to California to survive, but it only became viscerally known to me ("woke") via The Grapes of Wrath.
"I can't remember not knowing about "the company store" in coal country, so I must've learned early. It may have been in my high school history books, I may have read it in newspapers, magazines, books that my parents brought into the house, or maybe saw it in movies or tv shows. Or maybe someone explained 16 Tons to me!"

In coal mining towns, the workers were paid in script or coins only redeemable at 'the company store' for their necessities and a few other things. It was not accepted anywhere else. You had no choice but to buy your groceries, clothing, mining needs, soap, etc, at that store which the mine company ran.

Of course, many mines were complete little towns of company owned houses. You got to 'rent' a little house as long as you worked there. If you left the coal mine company, you'd leave the house and go elsewhere. You might have a 'rec center' for Saturday eve dances, and a tiny church, or the service held in the rec center. School usually up to 6th grade, sometimes up to 9th grade but often not beyond. You grew up and went to work in the mine.

I'd bet 99.9% of millennials are clueless on this.

t.
I don't think "the company store" was mentioned in the movie October Sky, but IIRC Homer Hickam mentions it in his book Rocket Boys (on which October Sky is based). Some millennials have probably read it.