No. of Recommendations: 0
Why is there an indention on the very first line of a post? Is that like a browser thing (using Chrome), or does TMF do this on purpose via coding? If the latter, why?

In the grand scheme, it's no big deal, but the auto-indent just seems kinda silly to me.

Trout
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I believe that indent is browser dependent; at least I do not see it using Firefox. Which browser is displaying it correctly I do not know. Perhaps both are correct, as their are ambiguities in the HTML specification.
No. of Recommendations: 3
FibreglassTrout,

Why is there an indention on the very first line of a post?

An oldie but a goodie.

http://boards.fool.com/space-at-the-beginning-29858762.aspx?...
No response.

http://boards.fool.com/space-at-the-beginning-2-29874977.asp...
"We'll take a look. I think it's a carry-over from some global site styles that we can override for boards messages."

http://boards.fool.com/space-at-the-beginning-3-30036764.asp...
"The space is a carryover from a style for the blockquote element elsewhere on the site. I'll see if I can get an override in to remove the space in the next release."

Phil
I was certain I wouldn't have been the first person to post about that indent.

I guess I need figure out how to search board content.

Thanks for the answers all!
No. of Recommendations: 1

Specific board search is a little weird for me, but maybe someone else has a better workaround. First, go to the board you want. Then, open one post and close it, but remain on the board. Enter the search term into the search box near the top, and you should get what you want.

The bit about having to open and close a post seems crazy, but it's the only way I've found to keep a search board specific.

Nancy
Nancy I go my favorite boards, click on the board. That gets me to a list of the unread posts, if any. I use the search at that point.

Jean
First, go to the board you want. Then, open one post and close it, but remain on the board. Enter the search term into the search box near the top, and you should get what you want.

It works, Thank you!

George
I go my favorite boards, click on the board. That gets me to a list of the unread posts, if any. I use the search at that point.

This also works, thank you!

George
I use the search at that point.

I've tried that. Maybe the system works better for you than it does for me. If I don't open and close a post, I get responses from all over the place. If I want to limit the search to a specific board, I have to open and close a post. That has been my experience with both IE and Safari. Firefox (which I just tried) gave me some results, but only a few, and they were limited to the last six months. When I tried a search for an older post on Firefox it didn't work at all.

You must be doing something different.

Nancy
either that, or the system hates me.
FWIW, Using Firefox- your method produced 6 hits, Jean's method - 4 hits. The 2 extra hits were within the date range of the 4 hit method. Who knows...?

George
No. of Recommendations: 4
FibreglassTrout,

Go to:

www.google.com/advanced_search

Put the name of the board you want to search in "this exact word or phrase", your search terms in "all these words" or "any of these words", and in "site or domain" put boards.fool.com

Then click on Advanced Search.

Phil
www.google.com/advanced_search

Put the name of the board you want to search in "this exact word or phrase", your search terms in "all these words" or "any of these words", and in "site or domain" put boards.fool.com

Then click on Advanced Search.

Thanks Phil. This works better than my previous test searches. Now I get 12 hits instead of the 4 and 6 hits.

George
geocarw,

Thanks Phil. This works better than my previous test searches. Now I get 12 hits instead of the 4 and 6 hits.

You're welcome. With a little experimenting, you can get the Google searches honed down to an artform. If you look at the pages it finds that you don't want, and the pages it finds that you do want, you can come up with search terms based on the differences.

For example, when searching for posts by geocarw, you might come up with pages that have people responding to geocarw by name in addition to posts by geocarw. To fix, instead of putting geocarw in the "all these words" textbox use "Author: geocarw" (with the quotes).

Also, you don't actually have to go to Google's advanced search page. The above search, with "Author: geocarw" in "all these words" and, say, Improve the Fool in "this exact word or phrase" is the same as going to the regular Google search page and typing:
"Author: geocarw" "Improve the Fool" site:boards.fool.com

Phil
Thanks again, very useful info. Learning something new every day.

George
Trout!

ps: Trout!