Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 41
This board has been very quiet recently, compared to where it was a few years ago when I first found the fool. And it's no surprise since index investing seems to have gotten less and less press in Fool articles in favor of "STOCKS 2004! Beat the Market!" adds. I went back to read the index funds info pages here just now, and came across this quote:

Psst. There's a reason that all these magazines don't tell you how simple mutual fund investing really is. Scientific marketing surveys and focus group testing have determined that magazines with covers that read "Index Funds: Still The Best Choice!!!" every single month really wouldn't sell as well as magazines that promise "Our BRAND NEW 10 Best Mutual Funds To Buy RIGHT NOW!" Sad, but true.

Yes, sad and true. It seems the Fool did their own surveys and focus group testing and came to the same conclusion. This is now a stock picking site. For great index fund discussion and asset allocation help, I spend the majority of my time over at www.nofeeboards.com, as well as some time at morningstar's discussion boards and a couple of other sites.

I'll likely keep my membership only to access the non-investing boards, but it will REALLY peeve me to write another membership check and subsidize the stock-newsletter side of the Fool...I have another few months to think about it...

FFL

P.S. Index fund investing IS still the best choice...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.