Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Now this is really a "blast from the past" chili recipe! When I grew up in south central Indiana 'many moons ago', this was the chili that I knew and loved (except my mom used thin elbow macaroni).

When I went to college, at Indiana Univ (about 20 miles from my hometown), they also served this chili in the dormitories. There I learned that MOST people had never HEARD of chili with pasta in it!!! Even the students from other parts of Indiana had never had it before!

Since most of the people in this part of Indiana came from NC and VA, I'm wondering if anyone from NC, VA, or elsewhere recognize this type of chili????????

'Indiana' Chili (Soup)

1 lb red beans
1 lb lean ground beef
1 med yellow onion, diced
2 tbsp crushed garlic (divided use)
2 tbsp olive oil (divided use)
3 tbsp chili powder (divided use)
2 tsp cumin (divided use)
½ tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
2 15 oz cans stewed tomatoes
4-6 oz vermicelli or spaghetti

1. Rinse and soak beans overnight. Rinse. Add water to cover about 1 inch over top of beans in a 4 qt pan. Add salt, 1 tbsp garlic, pepper, tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tbsp olive oil, and cook for about two hours, covered.
2. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to hot frying pan, add 1 tbsp crushed garlic, diced onion, and sautee for about 5 min. Add in ground beef and mix well. Add in 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, anc cook with stirring for about 5 min.
3. Transfer beans and ground beef to an 8 qt pot. Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and vermicelli (broken into 1 inch pieces). Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
4. Serve with either Ritz or saltine crackers.

OleDoc

ps: Now that the temp in No. Calif. has FINALLY cooled off a bit (getting down into the 40's at night!), I made a 'batch' of this chili last night! Ymmmm!!! Tasted just like Momma used to make!

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.