Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am currently living and working in South Africa, and only pay taxes on my income to the South African government. My wife and I will be moving back to the States in June, and I will be sure to make my 2004 tax year max contribution to our Roth IRAs (we could not contribute in 2003 because all of our earnings were foreign earned income).

I am wondering if I could make my 2004 contribution now (Jan 04), assuming that I will earn enough money from Aug to Dec. to be eligible to contribute.

My feeling is that such a move would be against the "spirit of the regulations" although perhaps not illegal based upon the way in which IRA contirbutions are accounted for (on a tax year basis).

Any advice?

cheezyches in Jozi
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.