Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Well I'm here in the lifeboat with you guys.  Had a good job with contract, an Ozzie & Harriet marriage (I thought), and a C11 by my employer, who owes me well over 6 figures, has it all crashing very quickly.  Been living on savings for three months, job market is ugly, and as soon as I do find a job my wife will file for separation.  I have three kids, so the child support will be hefty; my wife hasn't worked in 17 years, so the marriage counselor says I will be paying alimony too.  I'll get all the debts and split the assets...most of which were lost in the stock market last year anyway.  Oh, I forgot the stock and options from my employer that I could not sell last year due to stock holder lawsuits....another 7 figure loss.  Easy come, easy go....

So I've got to consider all the options to get out of this mess.  Any and all suggestions, sources of information, etc., greatly appreciated.  FYI, don't want to use a local attorney, I live in a small town, but plan to relocate as part of "starting over".

Based on anyone else's experience, as part of the recovery of my credit, will anyone even care that I have all these extenuating circumstances?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.