Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
1.) Work Study
In the past I have declined the Work Study portion of my financial aid packages. I'm still confused as to how Work Study works. Say you are awarded $1500.00 in Work Study. Does this mean that they excuse $1500.00 of your tuition bill, in exchange for you working? Do you get a paycheck in addition to the fact that that portion of your tuition has been excused? Or is your tuition not excused, and the money that you earn is expected to be used to pay tuition costs?

2.) College Costs Web Site
I am wanting to return to school full-time in the fall of 2000. I'm 21, working full-time for a pretty good salary right now, and have a car loan, plus $4700 in students loans from when I was previously in school full-time. Not to mention the fact that I am renting an apartment, which means that I don't get to save much of my salary. I want to find a school in the Northeast that is going to offer me a good education, that offers a comparable amount of financial aid to transfer students as it does to regular students, and is lower on the tuition-cost scale. Anyone know of a Web site that allows you to do searches based on college cost and financial aid demographics?

The current list of colleges that I have requested info from are:
Pace University (big time first choice, in New York City, but definitely not cheap)
Long Island U/Southampton College (good transfer scholarships, but an expensive area to live)
Wagner College (overpriced, but in New York City)
Grove City College (very inexpensive, but in rural Pennsylvania)
New York University (ridiculously expensive, but in New York City)
University of New Hampshire (15 minutes from my Mom's house, basically a "standby" choice)

I really want to go to school in New York City, but my practical/sensible side says just to stick with UNH since it will ultimately be cheapest. Having lived in New Hampshire for 19 years, I'd like to avoid moving back anytime soon.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any comments or advice anyone here may have. Thanks.

Bryan in Birmingham
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.