No. of Recommendations: 1
Another one of those "bandwidth overcapacity" opinions, only this one truly attempts to be alarming...

From the front page business section of today's Boston Globe, here's how it starts out:

<<If Mark Bruneau is right, tens of billions of dollars worth of stock market investment in
information-highway communications networks runs the risk of going up in smoke.>>

<<He predicts that within two years, the United States will have 400
times more telecommunications capacity than it had in 1998 - demand for space on networks to
carry computer traffic, video and voice calls will grow only 20 times.>>

<<
With one company alone, Qwest Communications International Inc., now building network
capacity that could move the the entire contents of the Library of Congress coast-to-coast in 20
seconds, a number of other analysts agree there is reason to question the need for the the
half-dozen more like it that are also under construction.>>

And so on, and so on.

Read the whole article at http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/191/business/Infobahn_glut+.shtml

Jeanie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Isn't this just the 'contrarian' indicator we've been waiting for from the Wise?? WOW! And it includes the whole sector! Even several sectors, come to think of it! I'm excited. ;-}

Well then if there were any wise among us perhaps we should be purchasing some January 2001 put leaps on our telecom holdings.
This kind of sensationalistic article gets written all the time. What's so annoying is the way it makes a big, scary statement in the lead, then draws back and hedges its bets by quoting lots of folks who make the opposite (and far more plausible, IMO) point: that demand will expand to meet supply. Just an attempt to drum up some excitement on a slow day, if you ask me.

Erik
Always good to be aware of disparate points of view. Ultimately will turn out one way or t'other. But seems plausible to be seein' it like the following guy does too.

"…we are amazed by the continuing demand for bandwidth. It seems that
it's like MIPS (millions of instructions per second) in computers -- the more
bandwidth you give people, the more things they can find to do with it, and
the more the demand grows. So we see a very strong continuing
transformation from a computer-centric world to a bandwidth-centric
world."
- Kevin Kalkhoven, CEO Uniphase Corp.
People have been saying this since Sprint built the pindrop fiber network
IMHO, there are two laws of bandwidth:
Bandwidth will never be free.
One can never have too much bandwidth.

M
Isn't this just the 'contrarian' indicator we've been waiting for from the Wise?? WOW! And it includes the whole sector! Even several sectors, come to think of it! I'm excited. ;-}

Question: Can an entire sector (i.e., BB) be included in the RB Port ????

Just asking.............. <:-0

Walkingshadow