Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2

Information is a measure of the complexity of the arrangement of parts of a storage medium, and doesn't depend on what parts are arranged. For instance, the printed page stores information via the 26 letters of the alphabet, which are arrangements of ink molecules on paper. But the information is not contained in the letters themselves. Even a translation into another language, even those with a different alphabet, need not change the information, but simply the way it is presented.

Sarfati, J., Origin of life: instability of building blocks, CEN Tech. J. 13(2):124–127, 1999.

How does the first sentence compare to programming computer languages Kazim or 0x6a74? I am definitely not a programmer, but as far as I understand binary is simply a set of instructions to the computer. Instructions are information that tell the hardware how to perform, such as DNA is information that tells the cell how to perform.

pretty much works.
more technically (i think) binary is the alphabet used by computers ... there are only two letters (0, 1) --strings of the letters can be 'words' that are instructions or data or the they can be gibberish --long enough strings become strings of instructions , ie, programs.
much like strings of the 26 letters are words or gibberish and strings of words can be sentences and stories.
DNA has four letters ... some strings of those letters we know 'code' for amino acids and long strings of those words code for proteins (but most DNA we don't know what it does --the so-called "junk DNA")
[ DNA and most computers use fixed length words ]

information is defined by the 'scientists' in terms randomness;
i think us regular folks define it in terms of meaning ...

i could type out a string of random letters and make a new word.... and there's no information unless i give the word meaning (and it catches on).

=j
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.