Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Have any of you experienced the following situation with ING lately?

I opened my account in December 2001 and have been making several deposits a month from my linked checking acct since then. For the past couple statements, there has been a note on it saying I need to confirm my linked account which I did in December (it is coming up everytime I am online with them too). I emailed customer service and their emailed response on why this was occurring was "Good question. You will have to call us to straighten it out." I called and got no resolution--I was basically told to ignore it. That was fine until today....

I am trying to transfer money from ING to my checking acct (first time I have tried this) and it wouldn't let me. I called customer service again and the idiot on the other end tried to tell me it was because I haven't confirmed the link (I told him about my previous conversation with customer service and that I had been transferring money for months.) He then told me he couldn't help me and that some internal department was going to have to deal with it. This will add a minimum of 2 days to the 3 days it takes to do the transfer. I explained that I needed the money by the end of this coming week--nothing. No offer to call me back with the info on the account. I had to demand an email to know if and when the situation is resolved. Luckily I have a savings acct with my B&M bank but I am still mad about the fact I can't get to MY money. Any suggestions (beyond switching online banks)?

ARR
Print the post Back To Top
I had a problem with them to, recounted here http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17134096

I don't know the solution. Sorry. Be thankful you didn't need it right away.

silverwing - sympathetic
I had a problem with them to, recounted here http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17134096

I don't know the solution. Sorry. Be thankful you didn't need it right away.

silverwing - sympathetic

I thought there was some deja vue to that post.

UKBB
Any suggestions (beyond switching online banks)?

ARR

ARR ME BUCHO

UKBB
no. when I was told to verify the account by calling them with the deposit amounts, I did it.

No problems.

Did you not call to verify the deposits they made?
No. of Recommendations: 1
Any suggestions (beyond switching online banks)?

Sounds to me like incompetence in customer service, which ING has a certain notoriety.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I have no helpful information for you.

I will say, though, that I almost opened an account with them - their rates were tempting - but balked big time. Reading about your problems with them makes me glad I changed my mind ...
No. of Recommendations: 2
ING has always been perfect for me. Customer service too.
no. when I was told to verify the account by calling them with the deposit amounts, I did it.

No problems.

Did you not call to verify the deposits they made?

Yes I did. That is why I was confused by the messages saying they hadn't been confirmed. It seems that ING can't even figure out their own computer system...nor or they willing to try.

ARR

That's odd.

But, I haven't had any problems, and I've only heard from 2 people (yourself included) that are having problems...

I'm happy, and I know dozens of others that are pleases, as well...
Typically, at least 90-95% are very happy with ING, but there seems to be a vocal minority that hate ING. Often its because they only have very small sums and when they deposited it, they could not take it out 2-3 days later.

I have said before that the only reason I opened the account was to get the $25, but then, I liked it so much I stayed and now I have a good sum with them. Mostly because I am not finding as many sufficient places to put in the stock market.
ARR:

I am happy with them as well. It's about all I can add.

Splotto
I'm pleases too!

No offence frissy <G>

"I'm happy, and I know dozens of others that are pleases, as well"

AK, killin' time, in the hills north of Fairbanks.
i'm happy too!

but i agree - they should have been more responsive.

i don't think it warrants 'balking'
I am having ING problems as well.

I just opened an account and every time I sign on it tells me I need to confirm links. When I went to do it the first time, it told me it was "unavailable" after I entered the amounts. Now when I click on link confirmation it says, "No links to confirm."

So I e-mailed them and they can't answer question over e-mail.

Well, I called them three weeks ago. Said they couldn't be reached from my calling area. I called them 2 days ago, yesterday and today and it said they couldn't be reached from my calling area. I used a cell phone, still wouldn't work.

Then I e-mailed them telling them that for some reason I couldn't reach them from my calling area (Nebraska, which is somewhat another country, but not really). They replied that they want to help me with my problem and to call them!!! Ahhhh! They gave me two numbers. The first said it couldn't be reached from my area. The second said, "Welcome. Please enter the pin number you wish followed by the pound sign." Ummm, what pin number? I entered my own pin from ING but that did nothing.

Any ideas as to what is going on? I'm visiting my parents in Louisiana next week, so I'll try calling from there. But it is not worth my time if I have to call my mom and have her use 3-way calling so I can talk to these people.
After I called CS and they told me it would be up to 48 hours before they could fix I just had to wait. I requested an email notifying me when I could access my money but none came. I just had to keep checking during the 48 hours to see if I could transfer money. After about 36 hours I was able to and there weren't any messages about links to confirm. I was never contacted about what the problem was.

ARR
Actually, the original poster's woes aren't that unexpected. We know that:

- ING is usually paranoid about security, and occasionally super-paranoid;
- the phone reps occasionally do not know what they're talking about -- don't assume that if one rep says something that it's the truth;
- ING is not a place to put money you might need on short notice

All of these quirks of ING have been discussed. Before you use ING you should be aware of them.
jrr7
Your vendetta against ING is laughable.

ING is less paranoid about security than PCBanker. ING doesnt email me everytime I log on. In addition, they have only a 4 diget PIN which is easier & quicker to use.

The Phone reps have always been 100% professional for me and many others. (As have PCBankers) But again, I stress, I dont use online banking to spend hours gabbing with customer service reps.

ING is fantasic at what its MEANT to be..a high rate, low thrills savings vehicle. In addition, one can transfer money FAST. In 2 business days my money can go from ING to my local bank and be available for immediate withdrawl. In addition, I can access INGs funds via my online brokerage accounts "fundsnow" system and have the money in my brokerage account the NEXT DAY ! This is important because most brokers pay very little, if any interest so its important to me that my excess funds are earning a top rate right up until I need them for stock purchases.

The only problem with ING is for people who are not seriously interested in a savings account. Apparently there is a few day delay for funds that were recently deposited.

Thats not a big deal for the vast majority of users. If you are going to need your money in a FEW DAYS, why the heck did you just send it to ING ?

ING is top notch for 99% of its customers.