Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings fellow fools!

My family and I inherited not a few shares of a blue chip stock from my grandparents, and we're about to distribute the shares.

Can anyone tell me what we're going to have to produce for the IRS when we sell a portion of them? (For example: A death certificate showing when the estate received the shares?)

The value of the estate is less than $1M, so I think that simplifies things.

We only pay tax on the capital gain since the estate went into settlement - isn't that correct?

Where can I go to get instructions on this? (I couldn't find it on the IRS website, I think mainly because I'm not sure where to look.)

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.