Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will be receiving about $300,000 shortly, am 56 years old, single, semi-retired (slowing down and simplifying my life and lifestyle and want to travel more) with another $250,000 or so in pension plans. I'm wondering if I should just park this inheritance money in a 7-7 1/4% CD for awhile until this current market situation settles down? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Long term you will need to invest in stocks to keep up with inflation. Short term volatility in the stock market makes a decision to invest a large sum right now a bit more complicated.

No one really knows what the stock market will do in the short term. Long term, Fools definitely believe it will go up. So personally, putting the money in fixed incomes for now and then investing it in portions over a period of time makes good sense. If the market continues to gyrate, you will dollar average into a favorable number. If it crashes, you will benefit from some opportunites to buy at a low price. Only if it continues to go up from here will you come out on the short end.

So flip a coin, and make your best guesses. In the long run you will probably do fine.

Best of luck to you.
I will be receiving about $300,000 shortly, am 56 years old, single, semi-retired (slowing down and simplifying my life
and lifestyle and want to travel more) with another $250,000 or so in pension plans. I'm wondering if I should just park
this inheritance money in a 7-7 1/4% CD for awhile until this current market situation settles down? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Don't time the market.

When you get the money start investing. Pick your stocks now and track then on paper. Use dollar cost averaging if it helps you sleep at night.
Your questions hints at market timing, however, if you've never invested in stocks before, this is understandable. Long term horizon, no better place than stocks. A personal example, my brother kept wondering about saving for his son's college but the "market" was too high and volitale. So he decided to wait. That was back in '87.

You might try breaking up your sum into 4 parts and each quarter and that into the market. Might ease the pain and anxiety of getting in the market.

JLC
I'm wondering if I should just park this inheritance money in a 7-71/4% CD for awhile until this current market situation settles down? Any suggestions?

As others said you appear to think of market timing. Place some in a index fund (S&P 500, Vanguard - low fees) or buy SPDR. Place whatever amount you are comfortable with but start your investment plan. Also read up on some of the Foolish portfolios, look at others who publis Focus Lists but better yet make your own Focus List of securities to follow for investment.

See: http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/6057/jmfocmar.html

http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/6057/jmfocmar.html

This will give you some ideas.

Good luck but do not wait for "the right time".

Venny