Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Helping my younger son think through some of this has made me think more about it. His started with an inherited IRA and it turns out there's more to inherit. (This from my late husband's father)

Thinking through that if my husband had lived, none of this would have made much of a difference at this point in our lives. I suspect we might have disclaimed what we could have resulting in the kids having what they do now have. I don't know much about the finances of the older two but for this son, it still make not make much of a difference. He is on track for pretty much everything financial. He just bought a house so maybe it would have been bigger or in a different neighborhood(we'll eventually talk about it but we're in different parts of the country at the moment). I do hope he finally replaces his windshield and gets the hood of his car repaired(it met a rock it didn't like, I believe, when parking to hike).

It also brings me to me and my....estate. I think things look more attractive when I can't afford them than when I can. I am also at a point that it would take a huge amount of money to change much of the way I live. Once I get my house squared away(the basement is almost finished) and decide where I will live, I will sell the other place.

Please don't tell me to give to your favorite charity. Philanthropy actually happens outside of FB and gofundme. About the only thing I can think of(other than upgrading the travel a bit) is that if I choose my condo, I want a wall of bookshelves, fireplace and a sliding ladder. If I choose the house, there is a renovation plan for the main floor. It's more about my fortitude than finances in deciding to do that.

Yup, I am lucky. Then again I have taken a fair number of risks in the past few years. One good recession and who knows ? I could be in a box by the river ;)

Or just counting up the assets and posting all day long ;)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.