Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Helping my younger son think through some of this has made me think more about it. His started with an inherited IRA and it turns out there's more to inherit. (This from my late husband's father)

Thinking through that if my husband had lived, none of this would have made much of a difference at this point in our lives. I suspect we might have disclaimed what we could have resulting in the kids having what they do now have. I don't know much about the finances of the older two but for this son, it still make not make much of a difference. He is on track for pretty much everything financial. He just bought a house so maybe it would have been bigger or in a different neighborhood(we'll eventually talk about it but we're in different parts of the country at the moment). I do hope he finally replaces his windshield and gets the hood of his car repaired(it met a rock it didn't like, I believe, when parking to hike).

It also brings me to me and my....estate. I think things look more attractive when I can't afford them than when I can. I am also at a point that it would take a huge amount of money to change much of the way I live. Once I get my house squared away(the basement is almost finished) and decide where I will live, I will sell the other place.

Please don't tell me to give to your favorite charity. Philanthropy actually happens outside of FB and gofundme. About the only thing I can think of(other than upgrading the travel a bit) is that if I choose my condo, I want a wall of bookshelves, fireplace and a sliding ladder. If I choose the house, there is a renovation plan for the main floor. It's more about my fortitude than finances in deciding to do that.

Yup, I am lucky. Then again I have taken a fair number of risks in the past few years. One good recession and who knows ? I could be in a box by the river ;)

Or just counting up the assets and posting all day long ;)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Please don't tell me to give to your favorite charity

If you are talking about your will, one thing to consider is a destination funeral. Set aside a portion for plane tickets and hotel rooms somewhere nice for your friends and family to go to celebrate your life. This will be a bit of a burden for whomever is your executor, but it will hopefully be a happy burden.

Otherwise, my general advice for wills is always the same: it's your money; dispose of it as you see fit. I have little patience for friends or relatives who think they have a claim to someone else's stuff after they pass on. However, I get the impression that your kids are definitely not in that category.

Wally
If you are talking about your will, one thing to consider is a destination funeral. Set aside a portion for plane tickets and hotel rooms somewhere nice for your friends and family to go to celebrate your life. This will be a bit of a burden for whomever is your executor, but it will hopefully be a happy burden.

Just talking about life. Going even better on the funeral - none. People can do whatever. BTDT on fulfilling someone's wishes that took me across the country and didn't designate enough money for the trip.
Going even better on the funeral - none.

Of course it's not fun if not enough money is set aside. I want to set aside money for dancing girls at my funeral. If my wife won't let me have them while I'm alive . . .

My Dad's family is mostly buried in Washington Park cemetery. My mother hates that cemetery. She claims that it is laid out "so you can't get anywhere without walking over someone's head." She refuses to be buried there which makes my Dad claim that his wife, "won't be caught dead with me."

Both my brothers died in other states and it was a hassle for my dad to get the bodies back to Indiana. It's made me joke that my will states that I must be buried in the state in which I died.

That's about all the death humor I have for today.

Thanks,

Wally
It also brings me to me and my....estate. --- Please don't tell me to give to your favorite charity.

I'm Right Here, you know :- )

But (and I am sure you have already done this) if there is a cause in which you believe, do set up bequests to that/those.

I think things look more attractive when I can't afford them than when I can.

Doesn't every realtor on the face of the earth count on this?
What's the price range?
Only the things that are price range +$X seem to be the right ones - houses, cars, trips...

peace & luck
t
I'm Right Here, you know :-

Not you.

But (and I am sure you have already done this) if there is a cause in which you believe, do set up bequests to that/those.

You are right.

I referred to "estate" incorrectly as opposed to maybe "assets".

And was mostly nattering.

I saw my younger son last night (dinner and Kristin Chenoweth with the CO Symphony was a wonderful Christmas present that he gave me). Interesting conversations about money and investing. The timing for him was interesting but wouldn't have changed what he spent on a house or where he bought. His siblings likely have significant catch up on retirement savings. He had to explain that he was pretty much topped off on anything specifically called "retirement." He and I also talked about inheritance philosophies(both grandparents did....different things).

Perhaps one thing that will come from our conversations will be him getting his estate docs done. Before the house, it was all taken care of through beneficiaries. (My concern is the the health care stuff).

For myself, knowing what to do with a chunk of money after I sell my house is a concern(don't sell an investment until you have something else/better to invest in).

Again just ruminating. Also, in my case, some of it came from some riskier choices. I'm not sure I need "more" so not sure how risky I will go.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Please don't tell me to give to your favorite charity.

OK, but you should still give to your favorite charities. :)
I'm my favorite charity. Give it to me.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm my favorite charity. Give it to me.

I would, but according to you, I don't have a lot of money.

Wally
OK, but you should still give to your favorite charities. :)

Wow, this is as much fun when I posted on the Millionaire fools board about philanthropy.
No. of Recommendations: 3

Wow, this is as much fun when I posted on the Millionaire fools board about philanthropy.

Well,

In our defense, your post was a little vague in exactly what kind of advice you need.

In your defense, we're a little silly.

Wally
In our defense, your post was a little vague in exactly what kind of advice you need.

Because I wasn't looking for any. I was just sharing where I was in life.

I'll be more careful in future.
Because I wasn't looking for any. I was just sharing where I was in life.

I'll be more careful in future.

Please don't. I would hate to see bad conversation drive out good.

Wally