Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I put an initial fraud alert on my account since I had been breached by equifax negligence. I received notification from all 3 agencies that it had been initiated. About a week later my wife opened a new line of credit -- with no notification to us from any of the 3 agencies! My feeling is that the initial fraud alert is somehow bogus and not effective. I may be taking out a line of credit on my mortgage soon and did not want to incur the cost of a freeze / reversal. Why would I not have been notified, and what might be my next best move? TIA, prlfool
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Some "seat of the pants" reactions...
1. Did you only place the FA against your SSN, or both? You say "my" (first person) account, nothing about her (third person).
2. What kind of credit line did she open? If it's something like a retail chain's "Sign up now for 10% off," then her standing there with a valid driver's license was probably enough, especially if she could answer basic security questions like "Which of these counties did you live in at some point in your life?"
3. Honestly, what's your goal? You said you "may" be taking out a line of credit on your mortgage (which doesn't make much sense... maybe you mean a HELOC - Home Equity Line of Credit), but that's about it. Personally, I'd say decide whether you will or not, and regardless, freeze at the earliest opportunity that makes sense and have done with it.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks for the reply. 1 - really good point; I think it did it against my ID only. Will circle back. 2 - ROFL, yes, likely the latter (TJ Max). 3 - My live is too complicated to explain ;-)