Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
inparadise:

<<<In addition, your sons do not need to make payments on any student loans pending the change (if it ever happens) or worry about how much of their income is going to pay student loans and worry about which parts of life they are deferring because of student loan debt.>>>

"You missed my point entirely."

No, I did not.

"Our kids don't have student loans because from conception we saved money to pay for their school."

Given that your sons do not have student loans, then everything I wrote above is true.

"And should student loans get forgiven we will no doubt have to pay higher taxes so that the families that didn't save enough to pay for college and took out loans will have to have taxpayers either pony up or forgive their debt that should be income to the gov't and in theory keeping taxes lower."

Higher taxes would be true even I you and your spouse had never had children; it is simply an argument about government spending that does not rely on you having (or not having) children.

And many student loans are not owed to the government.

"I dealt with my own loans at 9%, and didn't want the kids choices after college limited by student loan debt. Now it looks like I also will get to pay for other kids student loans. So why did we save?"

So that your children did not have their choices limited by student loan debt. So that there choice of school and/or major were not affected by student loan debt.

I had student loans, too, and recall the joy when they were finally paid back. And we were in a position to mostly avoid student loans by our children. But having money and options is almost always far better than not having money and having no, or very limited, options.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.