No. of Recommendations: 3
After waiting and watching and shredding offers for months because 0% BTs came with a 3-5% front-loaded fee, a zero percent offer arrived today. By the numbers:

No annual fee
0% for 14 months on BT's
13.49-17.49% thereafter
NO BT FEE on transfers completed prior to June 10.

One negative is that it is an app for a new card, not an existing open account. We don't want or need another CC. We don't use any card, but have balances on three, and a couple more that are open with no balance. Those open cards won't waive their BT fee, so we are giving this new (Discover) account consideration.

I'd hope for a line large enough to transfer our largest balance from 13.49 to 0%, saving around $168 in interest PER MONTH. Our latest CC numbers:

6239.30 @ 16.49%
9545.62 @ 13.49%
15013.73 @ 13.49%

I would expect my side hustle to zero out the $6239 balance in the next 6-7 weeks, weather permitting. That leaves just under 25k on the cards. Would it be wise to ask for a BT on both the $15013 and $9545, and have all of our CC debt at 0%? (Pretty soon, and best case if approved). Or...is a smaller line likely going to be the case, and maybe I should only list one of the balances to transfer. ?

Without seeing info on how the minimum payment would be calculated, it would work for us even if it more than doubled. I will call and ask for the terms and see if I can get a rough estimate of the size of the line.

Finally, we are following Dave Ramsey, except that we don't care about any "pay the smallest balance" baloney. We are killing the highest interest rate first because that is the most gazelle intense way to go about it. We don't need quick wins for the thrill or to stay motivated. What motivates me is not losing, and my brain won't pretend that math isn't real! I am pretty motivated to save $168 or more monthly, as that will dollar-for-dollar decrease our balance.

Is this devil worth dancing with? Thanks, and sorry so long.

Walstib!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.