Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 36
So, Friday I have one of the worst days of work I've ever had. Without getting into details, one of my positions majorly went against me, and I was feeling like crap, just dreading the fact that my Friday was so bad it was likely to put a damper on what would otherwise be a nice weekend. My gf just loves these work-stressed induced sulky weekends, maybe it's time to get a new job?

So that night I decide to blow off some steam with my favorite stress reliever and attention distractor, online poker tournaments. Between Stars and Party, nothing was really working out time wise except Party's $215 buyin Friday Special Tournament, generally a higher buyin that I'm comfortable with. I had only played a $215 once before, and had cashed barely in the money, but I at least knew it wasn't totally negative EV to play, so I signed in and started at 10 pm.

Long story short, 5:00AM I won the tourney for by far my most major score of my youthful poker career. $36K. Unbelieveable.

The tourney itself was fairly non-eventful. I never had a large stack, in fact spending the entire tournament until there were about 4 left with a smaller than average stack. Not many interesting hands, I just played a very tight conservative game, and just sort of steadily increased my stack through fairly straightforward play. Didn't really receive or deliver many bad beats. I became pretty short stacked when there was around 20 left and thought that would be it with a $1300 payout, but I stayed around. On the other table was an ultra aggresive player who when the final table came around had about half the chips in play. He was raising virtually every pot and was busting most of the players.

When it got down to the final table, I let him continue to do the work. I was in about 8th or 9th place when the final table started. I was able to steal the blinds a few times, and otherwise coasted to the final four. I knocked out 4th place to give myself the 2nd highest stack. The maniac knocked out the 3rd place, then I entered headsup wiht about 20% of the chips.

Headsup he continued to play ultra aggresive, I just sat back and waited for hands. I managed to double up and win a few pots to get to 2/3rd of the chips, then I dipped down to half, then I won 2 big pots to win. Difference between first and 2nd was $16K, but I was too tired to let it bother me.

So what the hell do I do with over $36,000 in my Party Poker account? Who knows and I am open to suggestions. My big long term goal was to earn enough playing poker to pay the rent, and I accomplished that with my win this weekend. I guess I'll start playing the $100 and $200 SnGs instead of the fifty, otherwise I guess I'll pull a bunch out and save it or buy something. In any case, this obviously puts me well into the profitable column on my poker career (I'm up over $50K with the WSOP seat).

Well thanks for reading my gloating post. If anything it made an otherwise terrible day a tolerable one, and prevented me from letting work stress ruin my weekend. Now if I can just win one of these every week I'd have a real business going.

SrGuapo
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.