Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 22
SO, today in the mail, from the Kentucky National Guard, DN and I recieve an invite to a couple's "Marriage Building Retreat" for members that have recently deployed or are scheduled to do so.

Uh, yeah, TooLittleTooLateville is back that way, this here is YouHaveToBeKiddingMeTown.

impolite
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
{{SO, today in the mail, from the Kentucky National Guard, DN and I recieve an invite to a couple's "Marriage Building Retreat" for members that have recently deployed or are scheduled to do so.

Uh, yeah, TooLittleTooLateville is back that way, this here is YouHaveToBeKiddingMeTown.}}

I do no understand why it is "YouHaveToBeKiddingMeTown." Did DN purposely do this or were your names still on some mailing list?

c
No. of Recommendations: 6
I do no understand why it is "YouHaveToBeKiddingMeTown." Did DN purposely do this or were your names still on some mailing list?

c

There are several reasons this is beyond bizarre:

1) DN is *supposed* to be out of the Guard. I have suspicions he reenlisted sometime last year, before coming home, even, but if he is truly out, then we aren't supposed to be on the list.

2) This is something they should have done, oh, 6 months ago, say?

3) Or perhaps offered a little more therapy to the troops only, even, when they were about to reenter Real Life. From what I've heard, most of the unit has had quite the rough ride since returning.

It just has the air of complete and total misunderstanding of the situation of returning troops and their relationships as a whole. 6 months time is a HUGE gap from return to checking in on them, and I would know as I begged and pleaded and researched for help for DN and me Back In The Day, and couldn't find any readily available. The best I could do was a meeting with the Chaplain for DN when he wandered back to KY for a weekend. I think we all know how well that must have gone.

It just was....bizarre. And it felt like absoluletly ridiculous timing by a bunch of clueless folks attempting to fix something they have no understanding of.

Not that I don't think they are trying, I think there has just been a woeful underestimation of how poorly some Weekend Warriors are prepared for war and it's after effects, and how much work would be needed to help the guys and gals return to "normal" life.

impolite
off her soapbox
No. of Recommendations: 1
Not that I don't think they are trying

I agree. They are very trying.

-synchronicity
No. of Recommendations: 0
Imp,
I missed a whole lot of info. I remember the he's home post and was so glad for you. And then...

Do you mind my asking: do you think his time in Iraq had anything to do with whatever happened when he got home?

Juliewinter
No. of Recommendations: 3
Do you mind my asking: do you think his time in Iraq had anything to do with whatever happened when he got home?

Juliewinter

Part of what happened, happened in Iraq.

I think the time in Iraq was a catalyst, but not the cause. Underlying problems, personality quirks and family history seems to have exploded in his head the second time he got injured. The first he seemed to handle okay, but the second really messed with his head, especially coming so quickly on the heels of the first.

So, yes and no.

impolite