Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
One of my pet long term peeves is how this country often acts like a whole bunch of separate countries with international borders. This is a very small victory in a very large battle which IMO includes blocking pipelines, needing special agreements to sell power across inter-provincial borders and even in one case years ago milk!

BIL and I left his home in Kenora to drive to a football game in Winnipeg and were stopped by the RCMP who were checking that we were not bringing Ontario milk into Manitoba. Seriously this stupid inter-provincial bickering costs our economy big time and drives me nuts. One would think our well paid police forces have better things to do with their time than to search random cars on the Trans Canada highway for 'smuggled' milk?

Tim

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/04/29/n-b-judge-set-to-rul...

Gerard Comeau Charges Dropped As Judge Rules Inter-Provincial Beer Ban Violates Constitution

CP | By The Canadian Press Posted: 04/29/2016 2:40 pm EDT

CAMPBELLTON, N.B. — A New Brunswick judge accepted constitutional arguments that loosen the flow of alcohol across provincial boundaries Friday, quoting the Fathers of Confederation to dismiss charges against a man who was arrested for importing some Quebec liquor.

Judge Ronald LeBlanc threw out all charges against Gerard Comeau for importing 14 cases of beer and three bottles of liquor from a Quebec border town.

In his 88-page decision, the judge cited the words of Canada's founders, saying they never intended laws that blatantly block the free flow of goods within the new country.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.