Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
intercst:

{{{JAFO31 writes,

In addition, NOLO is mostly for DIY. A third-party selecting the form (which one), completing it for someone (making drafting choices), and charging someone for it is likely the practice of law in most states and probably problematic unless done by a lawyer.}}}

</snip>

"The Texas Bar Association actually sued NOLO for the unlicensed practice of law in the State. They lost. (The Texas Legislature passed a law exempting legal self-help books from being construed as the "practice of law", thus saving the kangaroo-court style Texas legal establishment from complete embarrassment.<LOL>)"

Not surprising to me, publishers have broad first amendment rights.

From the article you linked:

"In the 1999 session it passed legislation that exempted self-help law products from the Texas Unauthorized Practice of Law statute as long as they carried a disclaimer making it clear that they didn’t provide legal advice."

As I said, NOLO is DIY, which is different than when OP wrote about his financial planner/CFP(?) producing the documents and your response about the CFP using NOLO.

"But I agree with you, if a civilian was using the NOLO software to draft documents and was charging for the service, they'd likely be in some trouble."

Which describes OP's scenario.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.