No. of Recommendations: 1
Intercst:"In the US we pay double the per capita cost for health care than any other industrialized nation for crappier results."

Well, since intercst always accuses the health industry of a 20% skim rate, that still leaves 80% more yet to be explained........ 80% more than other 'industrialized nations'...

Of course, we don't pay our doctors $77,000 a year like in France and England...so maybe that explains a bit...

t
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Aw right! Bring on the sugar and cigarettes!
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Aw right! Bring on the sugar and cigarettes! "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The problems with sugar are related to quantities - not so much in the
basic sugar. Possibly the direct form of the sugar can also possibly be suspect.

Cigs are a different matter - as taking small particles of anything into the lungs
would be a risk - sometimes unavoidable - but still a risk.

Howie52
I think happiness does not necessarily have anything to do with health. And
health seems to have little to do with healthcare - other than possibly not
getting too upset when dealing with insurance, insurance salesmen, Medicare
representatives, medicaid representatives or any medical group automated
telephone software.
The US Medical/Industrial Complex will eventually suck you dry whether you're healthy or sick.

OK, but where's the beef?

Health insurance amounts to a system where you prepay your health care costs regardless of need based on what the actuaries estimate is average for your "group" however defined. Yes, if the healthy and sick live to the same age, they theoretically pay the same. Difference in age at death is the only potential savings. Unless preexisting conditions allow the sick to be placed in a separate group.
No. of Recommendations: 8
pauleckler asks,

OK, but where's the beef?

</snip>

In the US we pay double the per capita cost for health care than any other industrialized nation for crappier results.

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 5
If you think it is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free.
Intercst:"In the US we pay double the per capita cost for health care than any other industrialized nation for crappier results."

Well, since intercst always accuses the health industry of a 20% skim rate, that still leaves 80% more yet to be explained........ 80% more than other 'industrialized nations'...

Of course, we don't pay our doctors $77,000 a year like in France and England...so maybe that explains a bit...

t
No. of Recommendations: 5
Those in excellent health will spend less on an annual basis but more during their retirement years due to longer life expectancies.

So...living longer has the downside of paying less in medical costs per year but the same overall because of being around more years? And this is the reason for concluding that "Health Brings No Medical Cost Savings?" Seems like a good trade-off to me.
TheBreeze concludes,

So...living longer has the downside of paying less in medical costs per year but the same overall because of being around more years?

</snip>

No. The data showed that healthy people had about $100,000 more in lifetime medical expenses.

Average cumulative health care expenses including premiums for a 65-year-old male in excellent health can be upwards of $345,000 and the estimate for a 65-year old male in poor health is about $246,000.

</snip>

intercst
No. The data showed that healthy people had about $100,000 more in lifetime medical expenses.

OK, so is your solution to this "problem" to just die earlier? No thanks. I'll take the higher medical expenses for healthy people to live longer.

My Dad is 98, and is healthy. Doesn't take any medication at all. If it has cost more in his various medical appointments, which the elderly do seem to have more check-ups, to keep him around, I'm good with that.

And I suspect my cousin is also fine with that for her Mom who is 94 (Dad's "kid" sister).

We do like having our parents still around. I'm hoping that I inherited Dad's genes!
No. of Recommendations: 13
The data showed that healthy people had about $100,000 more in lifetime medical expenses.

Is this the same reasoning that says that people who give up smoking have higher lifetime grocery bills. (Stop smoking...live longer...buy groceries for another decade or three.)

Someone told me the best way to keep yourself from running out of money during retirement is to smoke three packs a day.
JB: "Someone told me the best way to keep yourself from running out of money during retirement is to smoke three packs a day."

Philip Morris agrees:

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/18/news/tobacco-giants-analy...
No. of Recommendations: 8
I must be the only one that questioned the source of this story. Seemed rather transparent to me - and I am biased insider:

One of the key findings from the link:

•A retirement income approach using either single premium immediate annuities or a deferred income annuity in combination with systematic withdrawals will provide a healthy individual with a larger portfolio balance at life expectancy age, and more lifetime income beyond that age, than a retirement income approach relying solely on systematic withdrawals.

---------

Hmm... a sales pitch as a key finding. OK, let's learn more...

https://www.irionline.org/membership/about-us

The Insured Retirement Institute (IRI) is the leading financial services trade association for the retirement income industry. Members represent the entire supply chain of insured retirement strategies, including Insurers, Banks, Asset Managers, Broker-Dealers, Distributors, Financial Advisors and Solution Providers.

----------

Ya, no vested interest there at all. I've never heard of this organization and I have to wonder why someone as savvy as you would be pushing a product placement ad from 2014 disguised as "research."