Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Intercst:"or example, I could easily afford a $4,000 Business Class ticket on a 10 hour flight where Economy costs $1,500. But, is that crappy little lie-flat bed in Business Class really worth an extra $2,500 on a 10 hour ride? Maybe it makes more sense to book a $1,000 night room in London to sleep off the affects of the flight and save $1,500 (not that I'd spend $1,000 on a hotel room.)

I might pay an extra $200 for a lie-flat bed, but not $2,500."

--

I second that. For a 10 hour flight, you're normally going to get served dinner...an hour after take off - so they can push drinks meantime........then you get dinner and by the time it is done, you are 2 hours plus into the flight. THen it's dim lights and snooze time for 4-5 hours not that you can sleep all that well on a plane....then they wake you up after 5 hours to give you a breakfast and coffee.......and then make preparations for landing 45 minutes before you land since likely it will be half an hour at slower speeds getting into some EU airport. So you are 10 hours into your trip. Then you land and it might be 2 hours to get your bags, get through customs and wait for a train into downtown London. So you are now 14 hours into your trip. By the time you get to downtown London, it is 15-16 hours into the trip.

Depending how you did it, it might be getting dark soon - and you'll be trying to figure out whether it is time to sleep or not. so you grab some dinner.

Then you try to sleep. It's 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 time zones.....and it takes about 1 day per hour to adjust to the new time zone. it will be a couple days till you are in sync.

Next day is not much better but keep busy.....you'll be ready for bed at 5pm.....

Yeah, I could fly business class too.....but not for a 250% premium. Think once I flew business class to EU for work.....but most of the time it was economy......

Got upgraded once to first class on a JAL flight from Tokyo to Bangkok.....very very nice....just had economy seat.....but economy was fully booked so they moved me to business class....then to First Class..... only 5-6 hour flight but enjoyed it........

Now, I really think twice about even thinking of airline travel. Just too much hassle for what you get. Have seen enough EU.....and the ABC tours - Another Bloody Church...Another Bloody Castle.....Another Bloody City Center........after you've seen 20 of each.....no need to go to Prague to see their 'castle' and 'church'...... and 'city center'...... or any other city.

Seen the canals of Hamburg and Amsterdam. No need to go to Venice to see theirs. Or their church.

I travel and stay at Days Inns and Super 8 and similar. Attend a few conventions at Hiltons (at convention rates, typically $80-$100 a night). Not going to spend $130-$180 a night for a motel room that I use for 10 hours at most.....plus the Hiltons and such don't even include free breakfast.....

The best deals: Nice Super 8 in El Paso TX...still under $50/night...... Super 8 Fredericksburg TX......under $45 including breakfast. Most are now $60,70,80 and sometimes even 90 bucks a night.

Oh...well Alaska can run you $150 at the Motel 6 in Anchorange and $165 at the Super 8. Same for Fairbanks Super 8.....maybe even higher now. Haven't been there in 10 years.....

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.